New Faculty Startup Program
The New Faculty Startup Program, administered by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, provides supplemental funding for faculty startup costs. The program's objective is to make SIUC competitive to hire the highest quality faculty that have the greatest research potential.
Commitments of startup funds are made on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the following principles:
- Higher priority is given to hires that are considered particularly critical.
- Higher priority is given to hires where the level of startup commitment will influence the success of the hiring process.
- Higher priority is given to hires demonstrating outstanding research potential.
- Equipment costs are emphasized, but the program does not exclude requests for other types of funding.
Commitments for startup can be made over several fiscal years, including the current fiscal year. That is, hires made early enough may allow commitment and expenditure of current FY funds as part of the package.
Requests for startup commitments to a candidate should be forwarded by the College Dean to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, address the above priorities, and include:
- A competed New Faculty Startup Request Form,
- Itemized information and justification of the candidate’s startup needs.*
- A copy of the candidate's resume, and
- Copies of the candidate’s letters of recommendation.
Failure to provide all of these items will delay processing of the request.
*The quality of startup requests is enhanced with provision of accurate cost estimates (i.e., quotes, etc.).